Forum: Bryce

Subject: OT: New Video Card & New Power Supply.

Analog-X64 opened this issue on Mar 22, 2009 · 9 posts

pauljs75 posted Tue, 24 March 2009 at 2:34 PM

I find for buying parts, the best deals are online, but I guess at other times it's not worth the waiting. (What you managed doesn't sound all that bad though.)

In regards to power supplies, one should be careful on what a good deal is. It's not that the power supply is necessarily bad at a lower price, it's just that from my experience that the FCC noise rating (I believe it's indicated by a letter grade marking in addition to the other info) can vary quite a bit between "business" and "home" use computer parts. So if you like listening to the radio while rendering or browsing, be prepared for a lot of annoying buzzing if you go the cheaper route. (I learned this the hard way, and have since upgraded to a power supply with better shielding.)

Oh yeah - in addition to the "big box" stores, don't forget the office supply places. Sometimes they have halfway decent stuff hidden amongst their computer parts aisles. If you need a quicky part to get something up and running, sometimes they may have it. Might not be a better deal, but it gives more options and can save on driving if you've "got to have it now". ;)

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.