Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: disturbing news from Daz 3D (read this)

gsalas opened this issue on Jul 06, 2001 ยท 61 posts

soulhuntre posted Mon, 09 July 2001 at 1:57 AM

Hey there, it looks liek there are two misconceptions happening.... and I might be able to be constructive :) "It's a whole new song, inspite of the fact that's it's a ripoff of many ideas. This is done every godblessed day in the music community. It's the entire 90's, for cryin out loud." No, you can't. In fact, if you sampled a drum beat from a song and did not credit them they can and will sue you. Happens all the time. Now, let's seperate morph SETTINGS from morph TARGETS. I take Vicky 2. I play with the dials and come up with a combination of settings that are way cool. I >CAN< sell those settings. I can NOT protect them. If someone else independantly found the same settings then I am out of luck. I did NOT "create" them. If I download a new morph target (new geometry) and add it to Vicki, I get a new dial. If I set that to .5 and it looks great, I CAN sell the setting for that target as well. Now, we have a problem though. I need to distribute the SETTINGS (the numbers ont he dial) but NOT the geometry data for the file. My settings are only useful if they have purchased the Vicky character and it has to stay that way. This is complicated in V2. The morphs are products (the new dials) that COULD be used on V1. If I simply "create morph target" from my V2 dial settings then someone with V1 could use it without purchasing V2, because some of Daz's copyrighted geometry data is int he morph file. That's not legal. So I need to ship my settings as a "pose", not a morph. That way, they only work on V2, copyrights are all legal and everyone is happy. So when someone says that a someone "stole their morph" they do NOT mean the settings on the dials - they mean the actual geometry that those dials are altering. Whew ... did that make any sense?