Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Monthly reminder - you need to gamma correct your renders

bagginsbill opened this issue on Feb 01, 2009 · 207 posts

IsaoShi posted Mon, 13 April 2009 at 9:00 AM

Hi, RV. Following with interest still, but holding back on comments. Was expecting some guidance on displacement / bump maps and the "minus ~0.5" thing, but I guess that's for another time, since we're dealing with GC etc now.

I've developed a way of thinking about linear colour space, GC and anti-GC. It's nothing new or ground-breaking, just a way I found to think about it which helps me to grasp what I could not hold on to firmly before. That's why I've not said anything about it. It's possibly not even accurate, but it serves my purpose. It just involves doing the maths on numbers that proportionally represent actual light energy. I used my own (flexible but consistent) unit of measurement called "RGB photon-buckets" (at least, I've not heard that term anywhere else) to help me think it through. How many photons in a photon bucket? Well, how much water in a water bucket? Doesn't matter when you only count the buckets, but they must be all the same size. Ummm.... and full!

Anyway, what I really came here to say was... you mentioned in your latest blog (all of it read from start to finish, btw. You're doing good. No, that sounds patronising... I mean I think it's great stuff)... ummm, where was I? Yes, you mentioned that your purpose was to create a GC shader using Matmatic. Did you go off track? Because by the end of the page, I hadn't seen one line of ..... oh, wait, I stopped typing and went to have another look and saw your next section. hehe...

Just ignore me. Still, I'll let this go through so you know I'm here, reading with interest. You know, I think I could answer some of your questions, but it's getting so that I dare not. I'm like a bee, I sting when I need to, but it hurts me and I hate doing it, so I'm just keeping clear of danger. :O)

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)