Forum: Poser Python Scripting

Subject: Can the Poser 7 Pro feature Gamma Correction be emulated in P7 or P6 with Python

MatrixWorkz opened this issue on May 05, 2008 · 61 posts

bagginsbill posted Tue, 21 April 2009 at 2:09 AM

Quote - If I apply VSS in PoserPro, should I turn gamma correct to 0?

The answer is "no" but not for the reason you think. Let me restate your question a couple of times.

What does GC = 0 do?

It makes the response curve a flat line of pure white.

When should I use GC = 0?

You never, ever want to do that.

What does GC = 1 do?

It makes the response curve unchanged. It is the value to use when you want to disable GC in some rendering process.

When do I want GC = 1?

Overall? Probably never. However, as you move the GC from one stage in the process to another, you should only have one of them actually doing the GC - the other stages should be set to GC = 1 (no change).

So - if using VSS shaders with Poser Pro render GC set to 2.2, you should set the shader GC to 1.

If using VSS shaders with Poser Pro render GC set to 1, you should set the shader GC to 2.2.

If using VSS shaders with older Poser where render GC is not adjustable and is always effectively 1, you should always use the default shader GC = 2.2.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)