Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: My first humanoid

replicand opened this issue on Apr 30, 2009 ยท 30 posts

replicand posted Thu, 30 April 2009 at 8:30 PM

Thanks.

How do I plan to use? The answer is two tiered. Feature length animation, for sure. Rendering speed is key, so it drives the choice to use Renderman, which dictates the mesh's construction. Second, following the Unimesh philosophy (which IMHO is elegant), this is the base from which other characters will be created. Textures are no big deal per se since they will be procedural but the weight maps will transfer from character to character, which will save a bunch of time. I have already created a child character from this mesh. It took ten minutes.

Late in the modeling phase I noticed that moving vertices had little effect, so a sculpting program is the next step. I have ZBrush, but the Mac version of the Mudbox trial is now available and it rocks! I'm currently scraping pennies together to ditch Zbrush. Though I haven't decided yet, the "correct" way would be to use the low poly version in (sculptor program of choice), but I'll try both ways. I don't imagine it will make a difference.

Reference images are standard, unmorphed muscle mapped V3s, front, top and side views rendered in Poser. I've always felt V3's shape is weird (small head, big hips) but I wanted to concentrate on generating a clean mesh that I can easily modify. I'm a big fan of fashion magazine, so there's a plethora of faces to work from.