Forum: Blender

Subject: New Blender version now capable of creating Poser morphs and figures

Pret-a-3D opened this issue on May 13, 2009 · 104 posts

Reddog9 posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 2:50 PM

Quote -
Interestingly enough, the fix was accepted with some "grumbling" because I used vertex groups to store the OBJ groups. Strictly speaking the two things are not the same and vertex groups "are used for weight painting", in the words of the code maintainer :)

That's terrific news.  That sounds just like what I've been working on.  I've been getting ready to release my export script that I've been working on.  I've been working on it for quite some time now and I believe that was one of the first hurdles I had to cross.  I think I started from scratch making a OBJ exporter that does just as you stated, exports an OBJ broken down in to smaller objects based on Vertex Groups.  Since in my opinion, it really depends on full faces, my script goes further and eliminates any face that doesn't contain 3 or 4 vertices.  It also does not include any face that has not been assigned to a vertex group. 
  Dealing with the fact that the original Exporter altered the material names was another issue that I had to deal with as well, since in doing so, it alters the Object names (if I remember correctly, although that may be in my Prop Exporter that I created as well.).

My exporter goes on further to actually create the CR2 file based on a Blender Armature.  It also takes any bone rotation limits and adds those in as well.  It starts with a default value for 'Angles of Deformation' and then allows you to edit them as well and re-export the CR2. 

I've also included a 'Welding' script that allows you to add extra welding aside from the default situations which the script does for you.  It automatically welds any seems between a Parent and Child mesh as well as any seems that may occur between to 'Sibling' joints. 

At this time, I have not implemented any functions that deal with Spheres of Influence or Buldges. 

Although It's rough around the edges, it still works quite well.  I'm planning on releasing it with a detailed manual for a small fee.  If there's enough interest in it, I'd work on it further adding other features and clean things up.  Based on the man hours I've put into it, I don't think asking for a small fee would be unreasonable.

Sample Images

Reddog9
Tutorials, Samples and Models
www.blender3dclub.com