Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Will there be a Poser 8?

Tomsde opened this issue on May 15, 2009 ยท 327 posts

aeilkema posted Sat, 16 May 2009 at 8:02 AM

Quote - In all likelihood there will be a Poser 8. Poser is too big a money-maker to be allowed to die out.

That was 5 years ago, Poser sales have been dropping drastically and systematically with each new release after Poser 4. From some of the figures that were released during the Smith Micro take over it was clear that Poser 7 had less then 5000 copies sold. For a development of such an intensive application that is way too little. I seriously doubt that Poser Pro even comes close to this figure. For what it's worth..... These days I only sell my software in 3 countries and I even sell far more then 5000 copies. Poser isn't by far the big money maker that it used to be.

The only reason that a new version will be released is the content market around Poser. If for some reason there will be no next version of Poser then the content market focused on Poser items will slowly fade away and D/S native content will slowly take over. Smith Micro makes a lot more money with selling content then they make with selling Poser, so for them it's a must to keep Poser alive to generate more content sales.

I don't know if there will be a Poser 8 or not. All I know that Poser is loosing support from it's users. I've using Poser since version 2. Seeing how less little new things and innovations each new version has to offer, I'm not even sure if I'll invest in Poser 8. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Smith Micro has to do something drastic to Poser if they want my money. I'm not looking for some new figures and 2 new features, that's not worth my money.

If they want my money the need to improve Poser's memory usage drastically and improve rendering speed with at least 50%. Some basic modeling tools and landscaping tools would also get my attention. Add build in good working toon / cell shader rendering options and I may be sold.

But I seriously doubt any of this will happen. All we will see is additions that make Poser even slower and no real speed, memory and rendering improvements. Just some new characters and more horrible lines of codes added to the terrible outdated core code.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk