Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Nodes for Dummies

RobynsVeil opened this issue on Jan 24, 2009 ยท 490 posts

bagginsbill posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 7:06 AM

Quote - In the original VSS (which is where the node set is meant to end up) we had lips as a separate material zone but connected to face and nostril in Shader Rules. In my shader I process the actual lip area slightly differently from the fade-in bit in the 1_Skinface region. I read in the Antonia thread you advocate not making the lip zone a separate material, but processing it all with masks in one material.

Question:
--since this is still V4 with her material zones, do I continue as before and make the lips, face and nostril materials obey one rule in Shader Rules?

Jeez, my question is crap. Sorry. This thread has become "nodes for the incredibly gifted"...

I'm not sure what you mean by "process differently". Here's my point about multiple material zones. If you have two adjacent polygons in different zones, and you put the same shader on both, then they will look the same. If you put different shaders on each, then you have the potential of creating an abrupt, zero-width transition, i.e. no pixel obeying a little of both shaders. This is fine for wall meeets floor. This is not fine for cheek meets lip, because human lips do not suddenly appear within 6 nano-inches.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)