Forum: Vue

Subject: Why Vue?

bhitney opened this issue on Jul 12, 2001 ยท 7 posts

agiel posted Thu, 12 July 2001 at 7:56 AM

I started with Bryce (v3 demo first then v4) for a while and I got used to the interface. I was skeptical at first when I tried Vue but a few things kept me motivated enough to try it : - Better looking result in natural scenes (I have to spend a lot of time in tuning and lighting with Bryce to get something equivalent to a quick scene in Vue) - Easier way to mix materials - Group objects in layers with possibility to lock them or turn them off - Natural looking vegetation (I just wish more models were available :) ) - Easier way to spread a large number of copies (trees for axample) and drop them on a terrain (for some reason, I could never get it working right in Bryce) - Better control of the rendering engine (I found Vue more 'customizable' than bryce in general, even if it is with the cost of becoming confusing at times) Now version 4 has arrived, I could add to the list : - Better control of volumetric atmospheres - Lens flares, glowing materials and soft shadows - Poser 4 scenes import This said, it took me about a month of test and failures before I got used to the Vue interface. Now I am completely converted. There is one feature of Bryce I miss at times : the positioning of the sun/moon is more intuitive in bryce than vue. Other than that, I haven't looked back for months.