Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: VSS Script Question

Channing opened this issue on Jun 12, 2009 · 12 posts

bagginsbill posted Sat, 13 June 2009 at 6:49 AM

In the prop, look at the Shader Rules material. VSS uses these rules to decide how to populate the target material zones, by name.

Each mat zone on the target is compared with the rules to find a match. Asterisks in the rules represent wildcard matches - any number of characters. When a matching rule is found for a target zone, whatever action it is connected to gets executed. In the VSS you have the only action is to Copy a template material.

Because of wildcards, sometimes more than one rule matches a material zone name. For example all of these match or recognize a material called "SkinHip"

skinhip
skin*
skin
*hip
hip
kin

When multiple rules match, the one with no stars wins, then one *, then two *. If, within one of those criteria, more than one matches, then the longest one wins.

So in the case of SkinHip, given the choice between hip and skin rules, the longer one that wins is skin.

Because there is a rule for most common body part names in materials such as:

hip
body
torso
leg
arm
hand
foot

etc. all of these are connected to Copy Template Skin as it is 99% of the time what users want it to do.

But this is wrong for a pair of boots if you have conforming boots. For example, if the boots have a "foot" it will get Template Skin.

That's why you're supposed to pay attention to the Apply Rules. This is another rule-based material in the control prop. It decides which props and figures the entire prop applies to, and is based on matching the name of a figure or prop.

The special rule

matches all figures but no props. The rule * would match everything in your scene.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)