Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Free IBL Generator TOOL for Poser

bagginsbill opened this issue on Aug 13, 2008 · 158 posts

bagginsbill posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 9:31 AM

Sure you can move the dolly camera to anyplace you want.

However, don't rotate it. If you do, the "front" of the IBL will not be lined up with where Poser places the image in world space.

When you are working in an interior, moving the probe will change the perspective regarding what is large (close) and what is small (farther away). Regardless of where you place them, center or not, IBL is a compromise. The actual ambient lighting near the ceiling, for example, is supposed to be dominated by the ceiling, but IBL doesn't work that way.

We can only optimize (maximize correctness) of the ambient lighting for one position in 3D space. All other positions will receive the same ambient illumination and this is not how reality works. But it's better than nothing.

I did an experiment in Poser to improve this situation. I hoped to create multiple probes, sampled from different points in the scene, and then use a multi-image light shader that would interpolate between these probe images based on actual position of the rendered object. In theory, this would have gone a long way to improve the realism, allowing a single IBL to produce different lighting at various points in the scene. Unfortunately, Poser defied me. The P (position) node does not work in an IBL shader. So I was unable to perform the interpolation.

If Poser were to implement a proper shader SDK for lights and materials, I could fix it.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)