Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 8 advertised!

raven opened this issue on Jun 25, 2009 · 1706 posts

bagginsbill posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 2:53 PM

Quote -  I have been experimenting with Poser 8 and the Env Sphere. I've been trying to follow along and also have referred to bagginsbill's instructions posted on his free-stuff site. I'm not getting the best results.

Could someone please mention again the Env Sphere settings and where to plug the images in?

Could someone go over again the light settings (if one wants to use a light)?

Is it too much to put an image into the light, and with the Env Sphere, to put the same image into Diffuse, Highlight, and Ambient? Maybe that's my mistake. Should the image be used only once? If so, where's the best place to use it, if one is going to do lighting with the Env Sphere only?

Use the EnvPanoramic Shader I supplied. It has all the nodes already for every possible case.

Within that shader, select an equirectangular image for the Panoramic Image node.

Set the Gamma In = 2.2 for LDR images, and 1.0 for HDR images.

The next part is still unclear to me what is best. Here's what I've been doing. Set the Gamma Out to 1.5 and use HSV Exponential Tone Mapping in render options. Set the Exposure to somewhere between 2 and 2.2.

DO NOT USE AN IBL. The IBL will provide additional environmental lighting that is not consistent with that implied by the EnvSphere. Poser doesn't need IBL if you're using the EnvSphere.

Just use one infinite light for sunlight in an outdoor scene, 60 to 140% - the correct amount depends on the weather. For an indoor scene, it gets more complicated, but generally I'd use one or two spot lights, and not high intensity either - typically under 70%.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)