Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 8... First Impressions

ziggie opened this issue on Aug 04, 2009 · 617 posts

bagginsbill posted Sun, 09 August 2009 at 7:49 AM

Quote - just a question, because someone mentioned this and it seemed really crazy to me.  are you guys using IDL with IBL?  because that seems like a really bad idea.  the whole reason to use IBL is to fake what IDL does.  i can definitely imagine problems putting the two together.  maybe bagginsbill will set me straight, but if you're having artifacts when using the two together, that could certainly explain to me why so many people would be posting perfect, artifact-free renders while you guys aren't able to get past them.

personally, i'm planning to hold out for Pro, so i don't have my own direct experience to test.  but i know i'll have to change my lighting to use only directed light and ambient colors in my future setups.

Not right. I posted about this in another thread - can't find it.

IBL works differently when IDL is on. Poser implements an infinite sphere, populated by the IBL colors - effectively the same thing as my Environment Sphere.

IDL only "sees" the sphere if nothing gets in the way. If you're rendering in an enclosed room, IBL contributes absolutely nothing to the scene.

If you're out in the open, then IBL works just like the EnvSphere, only with better/correct occlusion, and also mixes local surface colors in the right proportions. In particular, a flat floor or wall will NOT have a uniform color on it from the IBL, while that is the case in Poser 7 and Pro. It will have a proper gradient.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)