Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: WARNING if you are importing Poser 8 to UK

zippy opened this issue on Aug 12, 2009 · 61 posts

Acadia posted Wed, 12 August 2009 at 9:12 AM

Quote - Thank you for your comment.

It may not be SM's fault, but SM quoted me a UPS delivery total charge, and SM obviously seemed happy with such an estimate. Other companies I've purchased from have quoted me extra charges and import tax to the UK.

These fees are not disclosed at the time of purchase by the seller as many sellers from the U.S. are themselves unaware of this.  As a result, there have been two class-action lawsuits filed against UPS by Canadians. UPS also doesn't contact the recipient to notify them about a package and ask if they want to clear the package's customs in person, or to have UPS do it for them, and let them know the charges in advance.  If you attend in person to do it yourself, there is no additional charge.

There have been class action lawsuits in Canada against UPS for their covert charges.  Their charges include Customs Brokerage Fees, Disbursement Fees (also known as Bond Fees) and C.O.D. Fees (to collect the amount from you) plus applicable Goods and Services Taxes or in the case of Europeans, VAT..

I bought the 3-Axis Video Course for Poser 5. I was subject to S&H ($10.00), plus exchange and duty, which I expected. Imagine my surprise when UPS delivered and wanted a further $50.00 for Brokerage fees. That's how much they claim it cost them to process the paperwork at the border. That's almost 100% the rate of what I paid for the course which I think was $69 USD. PLUS it took 7 weeks to get here!

I could have had it shipped FedEx for $17.99 air shipping, and it would have arrived at my door in 2 days. PLUS there wouldn't have been any additional charges because FedEx included "Brokerage" in their shipping fees.

Another time I ordered a stethoscope which I had calculated out would be cheaper after paying exchange than if I had purchased it in Canada.  Unknowingly to me, the company shipped via UPS instead of USPS, which resulted in UPS trying to collect an additional $95 (50% of the value of the stethoscope) at my door in order to give me the package. Again, brokerage fees!!  I refused the parcel and contacted the company and told them the stethoscope was on their way back and why.

UPS is fine for shipping around the US, but when it comes to "international", it sucks!!!!

This is the reason I always get download versions of programs instead of the boxed physically shipped to me, unless of course the company uses FedEx and not UPS..

If you want to read about the horrors of UPS customers, Google anything about UPS brokerage fees.  Some people are saying that the cost of the brokerage fees on warranty return items, or gifts have amounted to nearly 100% of the total value of the item in question.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi