Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: WARNING if you are importing Poser 8 to UK

zippy opened this issue on Aug 12, 2009 · 61 posts

tbird10 posted Fri, 14 August 2009 at 9:38 AM

I've now finally (after numerous e-mails) received a breakdown of the charges from UPS

Breakdown of charges:
VAT              18.42 GBP
Duty              0.00 GBP
Disbursement 11.00 GBP
Total              29.42 GBP

Value of the goods : $129.99 divided by the UK Exchange Rate 1.6436 = £79.08
Cost of Shipping     : £37.42
Total                     : £116.50

Description of the goods : POSER 8 HYBRID DVD using tariff : 9950000000 incurring 0% Duty.

Calculation of Vat:
£116.50 + £6.35 (Delivery Charge from the Point of Entry to the Destination) = £122.85 x 15% (UK Vat Rate) = £18.42

Note that UK customs add on an arbitary £6.35 VAT value adjustment where the shipping rate is not stated on the package, so we are paying VAT not only on the shipping charge but also on an additional £6.35 applied by UK customs.

However, the key part is that UPS are applying an £11 brokerage charge which they should not be doing unless they had offered this service to the end customer and the end customer accepted the service and charge or unless the despatching vendor had contracted this service and made clear to the customer that this service would be applied on the customers behalf and that an additional charge would be made for this service. As neither of these things happened I will attempt to recover this element of the charge and do have grounds for a complaint to UK trading standards. I suggest others who are unhappy also complain (not sure it will get anywhere but hey!)