Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser8's new rigging system

shedofjoy opened this issue on Aug 14, 2009 · 25 posts

JoePublic posted Mon, 17 August 2009 at 4:25 PM

That new rigging system will be a complete non-starter.
No merchant in their right mind ever has and ever will support the default Poser figures as long as their technical quality (and looks) are inferior to the DAZ figures.

There are some die-hard fanboys/girls but they don't decide wether a mesh  will be a success or not.
The masses do.

The "old" single spherical falloff zone system + DAZ MorphLoaderPRO technology + the new "works acoss seams" MorphBrush are more than enough to solve each and any rigging problems.

Embedded magnets are bad (Like V4, G2 and the P8 figures), multisplit bodyparts are bad (like Apollo), and multiple falloff zones are bad (P8 figures), as none of these can give the superior results that a properly made JCM can give.

It's actually very simple to understand:
A morph (= JCM) stores individual info for each single vertice, so a joint can have any imaginable shape.
A magnet zone as well as a falloff zone OTOH can only push vertices in a general direction, not tell each vertice separately what position to occupy.

So to deform a shoulder in the same way a single JCM can with magnets or multiple falloff zones alone, you'd need a magnet or falloff zone for each vertice of the shoulder.

And if you need JCM's anyway to fix a joint, why bother with magnets or multiple falloff zones in the first place ?

JCM's add almost zero overhead and they are fully backwards compatible with every version of Poser and STUDIO.

As much as I applaud any attempt to give us more realistic joints, this is the wrong way.

It would have been far more useful to get something like the MorphLoader PRO built right  into Poser and even more improvements for the MorphBrush.

BTW, could we please bury the myth that "weightmapping" is the deus ex machina that will solve all our rigging woes ?

Even the "big boys" need fix morphs fo get a shape right or simply use multiple copys of a mesh all rigged differently for a different range of poses.

Show me a truly photorealistic human mesh that can do all human possible contortion/martial art/gymnast (not to mention all the "normal" everday) poses being rigged with weightmapping alone, and I will happily root for it.

OTOH I have several Poser meshes that can do exactly that without problems.