Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What's that about Alyson?

DCArt opened this issue on Aug 20, 2009 · 139 posts

carodan posted Sat, 22 August 2009 at 11:14 AM

Quote -  Just for grins, here's the untextured version for Carodan

I know it sounds strange to see a face without textures, but with a character morph what we're primarily dealing with is the underlying poly/vertex placement. Details like eyebrows, lips and skin shading in diffuse texture maps can often obscure morph structure that might not become apparent until rendered in certain lighting conditions - that's why I think it's important to morph on an untextured model. Although it's also important to refer to how the existing textures are affected by new morph shapes (to prevent unsightly stretching or drifting of details like brows and lips), it's also desirable to achieve smooth and realistic features in the morph itself. I actually would prefer to have to do a little work on the texture details in Photoshop than to try and make the morph work with the textures, but perhaps that's just me.
We can see with Alyson's default face in preview mode or from an untextured render a few potential problems in her mesh - those dimples in her cheeks and the polys around the eyebrows. When rendered these can look rather ugly and cause all kinds of artifacts with RT shadows.
I've been finding these areas on Alyson inparticular are difficult to deal with using the morph brush for example - try smoothing the cheek dimples using the morph brush. I get sharp creases developing.
When you take a look at her untextured face you also notice the sharp modelling around the top of the upper lip. This looks better when rendered with polygon smoothing enabled but all the same I'd prefer to smooth them out a little before.
I think that SM's strategy of returning to base figures with a multitude of shaping morphs for character diversity is a sound move, I just think there are a few problems inherent in the mesh that reveal themselves when some of the morphs are applied (even in quite moderate strength).

PoserPro2014(Sr4), Win7 x64, display units set to inches.

www.danielroseartnew.weebly.com