Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 8 advertised!

raven opened this issue on Jun 25, 2009 · 1706 posts

bagginsbill posted Tue, 25 August 2009 at 6:04 AM

Yes PPro generates HDR renders.

Note that careful readers will have seen on my GenIBL page that I already explained how to get increased range out of an LDR. Quoting myself here from the GenIBL page:

Unless you're using Poser Pro, this will produce an LDR IBL image, not an HDR IBL image. (In Poser Pro, check HDRI Optimized output in render settings and save as EXR or HDR format.) In Poser 7, even if your environment sphere has an HDR image on it (Poser 7 and up only), the generated probe image is LDR, and Poser 6 can't load HDR images at all.

However, you can get much of the effect of an HDR image with a little more work in Poser 7. Go into the material room for the GenIBL-Lens. Find the Color_Math:Pow node. Change Value_1 to RGB(127, 127, 127). This will cut the brightness in half. Render with this setup and save as a JPG or PNG or whatever. Even though this is LDR, we've compressed the ordinary brightness to half, so that some of the extra-bright stuff can be recorded.

Now when you load the IBL image into the IBL material, it is only half as bright as it should be. To compensate, change the IBL intensity to 200%. You'll get back a lot of the dynamic range up to 2X max brightness. If you want to try for more, use RGB(64, 64, 64) instead, and then set the IBL intensity to 400%.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)