Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Indirect Lighting for Dummies

momodot opened this issue on Aug 22, 2009 · 33 posts

bagginsbill posted Tue, 25 August 2009 at 7:10 PM

Wow that shader is a mess. The sum of Diffuse_value + Reflection_Value + Refraction_Value is 2.35! That's a mighty glowy shader there - the sum should not exceed 1. Plus, the refraction isn't real - it's just a picture. Plus it is using transparency as well, instead of real refraction. Geez.

Plus for IDL, the Diffuse_Value should not ever be 1 - it should be around .8, but only for materials that are opaque. Water is completely transparent, and has NO diffuse reflection at all.

Remove the image that goes to Diffuse_Color altogether.

Set Diffuse_Value = 0.

Remove the Reflect node.

Disconnect the other image from the Refract_Color channel.

Connect a Fresnel node to Refract_Color, and set Refract_Value = .9

Set the IOR on the Fresnel to 1.333.

Render without IDL and see how that looks.

Then if the bump map is not a JPEG or is huge, I'd open it in Photoshop, and save it as JPEG, no more than 1K in dimension.

Your render settings show Min Shading Rate = 0. That's really aggressive. Try test render with it at 1. If things look blotchy, try .5.

On the water prop, I'd set the water Min Shading Rate to 1, even if you need a better rate on the rest of the scene.

Render without IDL, and see how it looks. Then try with IDL again.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)