Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT (or maybe not) -- are things getting too complex?

SeanMartin opened this issue on Aug 26, 2009 · 72 posts

lmckenzie posted Thu, 27 August 2009 at 7:21 AM

*"by the same argument we throw away far to much that fails for say 1 component, simply because it's not designed to be repaired, only replaced.. so we scrap the working rest...." *

Absolutely. Modern technology is predicated on mass production and mass waste. In a few decades, the concept of a repairman will probably be gone. With solid state memory we will soon have a real PC on a a single chip. They'll package the whole thing in the cable you use to hook up a monitor - $29.95 - not repairable.

"Universal Extractor" will extract (not view) the contents of Daz installers as well as most archive and many other installers. Nothing to see, just files. They're not in the order they are actually installed, that is controlled by the install script. Handy though if you have a damaged installer and want to pull what you can out of it.

I don't like the extra overhead of the installers but I can't fault them for complexity. I "install" to a temp folder and then rename, relocate etc. to fit my own scheme. I then creare a rar of the stuff and delete the installer. I do the exact same thing with zip distributions. The installer takes a few seconds longer to start and paste the destination folder. I'm not installing a dozen items a day do so problem. OTOH, there are people who are not interested in the bowels of Poser's runtime. The click, it installs, the readme pops up and tells them where to locate the content and they get an uninstaller to boot. They should be banned from computing because they aren't preeks (Poser geeks) - you jest I know/hope. 

Seriously, the whole ridiculous Poser file system was fine back when Posette's grandmother was a teen teasing the P1 stickman, and there was no industry of 3rd party content. But, they should have revamped it years ago, grouped all item files together and used a database to track and link content - they you could truly put things where you wanted. They should have also cut a deal with Eon to use the Vue render engine in P5 instead of FireFly but don't get me started on what they should have done. In my day, we had real naked ladies to pose!

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken