Forum: Freestuff

Subject: Generic Texturing - quality issues

pakled opened this issue on Aug 31, 2009 · 14 posts

Morkonan posted Tue, 01 September 2009 at 12:17 AM

Quote - ... I've looked at some of the texture packs that have been offered here, and tried some of them, but the thing I'm after is detail (I have a theory that the secret to modeling isn't loads of fiddly bits on the object file; it's a straightforward object with really finely detailed textures)

The 3D modeling presents the frame which texture artists use to make their magic.

Truth be told, you can't get model the level of detail necessary to match what can be done with textures, displacement/bump/alphas etc..  At least, not get the detail and be able to render it.  Putting too much fine detail on an object is unnecessary if you can present that detail with a texture map.  What can you map, what do you have to model?  That always seems to be the question.

Quote - I've seen bunches of psd files, for those lucky enough to afford Photoshop (I have Gimp, which limits me, but whaddayawantforfree?...;)

You can import some Photoshop brushes (abr) into Gimp, IIRC.  There are other crossover components as well, I think, somewhere between the programs you mentioned.

Quote - Are you creating the texture files from scratch; are there URLS of 'insanely great' textures out there, or is the secret using lots of different textures on just a few polys?

I'm not a "texture artist" but, what type of textures are you thinking about?  There are all sorts of different types, many of the computer generated using fairly automatic processes.  For instance, pattern-type textures are usually several different types of Photoshop processes and styles finagled together.  There are even "texture generators" out there.  Here's a very cool online one: 

http://www.grsites.com/generate/group/4003/

You can use it to make some seamless, good quality base textures (not, necessarily, things like fabric patterns) and then modify them to suite yourself in your program of choice.  Virtually all common "pattern" textures are going to be computer generated from a base, seamless, texture.  For wacky/wild/non-repetitive textures, a lot are computer generated then modified with different styles.  There are a few other online seamless texture tools out there that could help you as a base for a 2D image map for color textures, bumps, displacements, whatever.

Quote - If there are some good texturing tutorials out there (for detailed texturing), point me that way. If I ever figure out how to make Hexagon not supply me with 'bell shaped blobs', I'll try using that.

I don't use Hex's paint features simply because of some conflicts with my much older vid card & drivers.  I wish I could use it but NOT for creating the texture - I'd want it to paint on ref's for use in planning textures.  IMO, Hex is not designed to do anything more than do an adequate job of creating a base painted on texture map for an object.  I don't know that many models could look decent with only Hex's 3D painting textures.  It's wonderful to have that tool but, not a final solution by any means.

Quote - If there are programs I should look into? (Have Paintshop pro, Gimp, Corel Draw, 'something that starts with an M', and probably many more...;), I'm all ears, as the Ferengi say...;)

I'd start with tutorials for programs you already have.  Focus on creating unique looking seamless textures, brushes or effects, not necessarily anything specific.  Then, work on UVMapping with texture groups specifically in mind.

Quote - Thanks, appreciated already...;)

I won't be of much use, I'm not a very good texture artist.  But, I can recognize them when they happen to float to the top. :)

One thing I think that anyone with a serious interest in textures NEEDS to do is to work with generated materials like those found in Poser's material room.  These save time, effort and, most importantly, memory space.  You can generate a highly detailed, dynamic texture for bits on the byte with materials much more effective than a 2D texture/color map.  Want a highly detailed bump map?  Use materials and a 2D overlay to get what you want.  Want leather that looks like leather?  Use materials.  Want displacement effects so detailed you can render at any resolution and get outstanding closeups?  Use materials.

Materials like those are what enable 3D professionals to make the movies we all go ga-ga over.  For some applications, 2D maps are necessary.  But, if you want true detail, combine the flexibility of 2D maps with the high detail capability and dynamics of computer generated 3D materials.  Take advantage of all tools the renderer affords you.

PS - One thing to keep in mind is the resolution of your map.  If it is meant for high detailed work and you are relying on 2D textures to carry that off, then you HAVE to have a hi-res map.  Working a texture in 500x500 for a model intended to be rendered at 3000x3000 is going to result in a useless blob of goo.  FYI- Hexagon only creates UVMaps at screen resolution.  To get bigger ones that afford you more detail, you have to use another program to resize/recreate that UVMap at a higher resolution.  But, resolution isn't always the key.. a hi-res crappy texture just looks more craptastic at higher resolutions. :)  AND, keep in mind one of the most memory hungry model components there can be is a huge 2D texture map.  Poly's are first, texture maps are next in determining a models memory footprint.  Comp generated materials are very, very lightweight.

I've been gone for awhile, just getting back into the swing of things.