Forum: Carrara

Subject: Shop/apartment building: former Brycer leans to love Carrara shaders!

50parsecs opened this issue on Sep 03, 2009 · 15 posts

pauljs75 posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:59 PM

Welcome to the club! (I think I know at least a dozen that have moved from Bryce to Carrara.)

(Only thing I miss from Bryce is volumetric materials, but I believe there is a plugin somewhere that covers those. Oh, and I guess the ability to lock objects from selection while keeping them visible is another thing I wish Carrara had.)

Btw, after seeing earlier posts at the Wings forum, I see you did the windows. That one little thing makes the upper floors look lived-in now. 👍 I'd like to see how your neighborhood collection is going to grow.

Back on Bryce to Carrara... Animation-wise and with most other stuff, it's actually better. And the way things work is pretty to figure out with former Bryce experience.

One thing that would probably benefit your UV mapped models is that Inagoni Baker Plugin. (Which I still need to get) Then you can take those nifty Carrara shaders, bake them onto your pre-existing UVs, and put those in your model's texture sets that you're selling or giving away. (Seems tons easier than trying to do all that texturing by hand, and you still get the benefit of the procedurals with added flexibility. This is because you can throw on another layer to dress or grunge things up on the tex-map image in Photoshop or whatever.)

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.