Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Blank window. Poser 8

Einzelganger opened this issue on Aug 06, 2009 · 202 posts

bagginsbill posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 12:13 AM

Quote - I'm sorry but I have to step in here and agree. Terse DOES EQUAL Rude.

Thesaurus.com:

Quote -
Main Entry: terse Part of Speech: adjective Definition: brief, short Synonyms: abrupt, aphoristic, boiled down, breviloquent, brusque, clear-cut, clipped, close, compact, compendiary, compendious, concise, condensed, crisp, cryptic, curt, cut to the bone, elliptical, epigrammatic, exact, gnomic, in a nutshell, incisive, laconic, lean, neat, pithy, pointed, precise, sententious, short and sweet, snappy, succinct, summary, taut, to the point, trenchant

Quote -
Main Entry: rude Part of Speech: adjective Definition: disrespectful, rough Synonyms: abrupt, abusive, bad-mannered, barbarian, barbaric, barbarous, blunt, boorish, brusque, brutish, cheeky, churlish, coarse, crabbed, crude, curt, discourteous, graceless, gross, gruff, ignorant, illiterate, impertinent, impolite, impudent, inconsiderate, insolent, insulting, intrusive, loutish, low, obscene, offhand, peremptory, raw, savage, scurrilous, short, surly, uncivil, uncivilized, uncouth, uncultured, uneducated, ungracious, unmannerly, unpolished, unrefined, vulgar, wild

Nobody's asking to be mollycoddled that I can see, they're just asking for answers given with a little more respect from what I can see. I understand BB gives of his time freely and man, that is FAN-Effin-Tastic! I applaud that! But he does come across quite harshly at times and I've noticed it myself. I still respect him for what he does and what he knows. I just wish he'd take a little constructive critiscism when it comes to his interpersonal skills. You don't have to be abrupt/terse/rude to make your point.

Frankly, calling someone "22 Posts" is blatantly rude! Post count should not be a factor in how we treat people around here. If you look you'll see MuonQuark has been a member here since 2007. Hardly a newbie, and even if he was, you don't treat newbies with disrespect do you?

And being called rude when you're not actually rude is obnoxious. Read my 3 posts leading up to being called rude. There was no rudeness.

And your tactic of finding common synonyms isn't a valid approach to argument of word equivalence. You're employing what is called the "transitive closure", and while it is great for figuring out if there is a way to get from point A to point B via trains or planes, it leads to nonsense equivalents when applied to synonyms.

For example, using a synonym closure, by the same argument you gave above, I can show that mollycoddle means the same as destroy.

mollycoddle <= > spoil <=> destroy

I'm pretty sure you would argue that mollycoddle does NOT mean destroy. And yet that's the exact type of false argument you used above to prove that terse means rude.

You know what I think is rude? People jumping in to pile on to a really stupid argument, and adding really bad arguments on top of the stupid one.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)