Forum: Complaint & Debate

Subject: DAZ's Texture Map Copyright Laws

annemarie opened this issue on Jul 18, 2001 ยท 88 posts

JeniferC posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 6:36 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/index.ez?viewLink=328

Snow Sultan--I appreciate your fast response, and your willingness to cooperate with DAZ. No one is pointing a finger at you. We tried to keep the matter private. Ronstuff I dont believe the post was deleted. This is a time out of 30 minutes if you were typing too long (happens to me all the time) and it just doesnt post. Everyone in General giving away something free or selling something that is not 100% yours is still a copyright violation. Some artist may give their approval to use anyway you want, but you still need their permission (and its best to keep in documented) and give them their due acknowledgement in the read me or license. The at least 90% or substantial change issues are really unclear, and its not worth the legal risk based on it. Community Standards Renderositys copyright policy is linked above and found on the toolbar. We believe strongly in protecting artists copyrights regardless of whether its given away or sold. I work hard to address all copyright complaints, to follow our copyright policies, and to keep them private. Unfortunately, there are some that post items that are not their own, and we have no perfect way of stopping ALL of them. However, we do rely heavily upon the community members or original creators of the works to notify us so we can investigate and resolve. Most are resolved in private with only the ones involved knowing about it. Lots of times, corrections are made and everyone is happy. There are also times when the item(s) in question is found not to be in violation (all the more reason why we keep it privatefalse claims can unintentionally hurt an artists image). Our policies do allow us to ban repeat offenders--we don't want them here; but thankfully, that is so rare. We don't like having to go to the extreme measures. Most of our members are honest and just are not aware of the copyright laws and our policies that enforce them. No one should be hung because they didnt know, but I hope that we can all work together to educate them on the laws and policies. Please feel free to email us at admin@renderosity.com if you have questions and concerns. Thanks, Jenifer Keeling (previously Handley) Renderosity Admin & Copyright Agent