Forum: Complaint & Debate

Subject: DAZ's Texture Map Copyright Laws

annemarie opened this issue on Jul 18, 2001 ยท 88 posts

Questor posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 8:22 PM

Fair enough, perhaps I misread this thread somewhat. As far as SnowSultan is concerned, I hosted three of his textures and he contacted me to pull them. I don't think that DAZ demanded they be removed - I don't know for certain of course - but as far as I can tell from what SnowSultan has said to me, he was acting out of his own concern by pulling the textures from freestuff. I'm sorry if anyone is offended by what I said, but there is so much "questionable" behaviour and there will be more and more of it as this community grows that I honestly think that DAZ are correct in taking the stand they have. As far as "drawing the line". Yes I can see how that could get confusing. However, there is always the option of doing the same thing I have done in the past. Mail them with details and ask. So far the responses I've had from DAZ when I've asked them about redistributing parts or new parts (especially Vic2) have been extremely informative, very polite and helpful and quick. I'm sorry but in this age of rapid communication it seems that communication is the first thing to suffer. It seems that very very few people ask others for permission anymore and that is to my way of thinking, highly distressing. I know SnowSultan and Staale have offered their textures for free with permission to redistribute "freely" improved textures, DAZ don't give that permission, nor do people who sell in the store here. Whole or in part applies to a lot of things in a lot of places. If it was to be taken literally then for most of us there's no point getting up in the morning. In DAZ's case they don't object to art, freely provide templates so people can make textures without buying items and they can redistribute those. They are pretty clear in their FAQ and any doubts can be answered by their sales staff over email or telephone. Maybe I'm stupid or something but I just don't see the problem. When I have a doubt I ask directly, if I don't get an answer I don't do, if I get an answer I'm a happy camper. I don't know, perhaps I'm missing something fundamental in life. NOI to anyone, just airing my somewhat befuddled mind.