Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 8 VS Daz Studio

Bill B opened this issue on Sep 15, 2009 · 77 posts

Magix-101 posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 10:50 PM

Quote - But I simply haven't been able to get as good renders is DS as in Poser and I really miss the python scripts and IK abilities.  And now that Poser has IDL and faster render speeds I don't think I´ll be switching to DS anytime soon.

Hi
Ive built stuff for Poser for nearly 10 years and beta tested the app too (prior to Smith Micro).
I have Poser 7 (havent upgraded to eight)
I use both apps...but recently I do prefer Daz Studio 3 advanced.
On the subject of rendering...well the basic Firefly is Renderman code that was licensed by Curious Labs at the time of version 5.
Now that Renderer has been upgraded a little over time, but the engine is basically the same.
On the other hand the Daz studio 3d delight Renderer by DNA is also used in Maya, Soft Image XSI etc... hi end apps that demand accuracy in rendering wether it comes to shadow maps, IBL lighting, Global Illumination whatever.
What I am trying to say is this, there is no way that the Firefly is even on an equal par the the 3 delight Renderer.
Now if you get better renders from the Firefly...you know it better thats all.
With the 3 Delight renderer in DS3 you have to wind the shading rate down to 0.2 or thereabouts to get totally detailed renders...and you will get them.
Now if you render a 1 pixel transmapped hair texture with a lot of strands in the Firefly you will see distortion lines, you wont see them with the 3 delight renderer simply because it traces more accurately.
Also place a light several hundred feet from a figure (like trying to simulate sunlight etc...) and use the shadow maps and you will be amazed how inaccurate they are in the Firefly.
Now of course you would usually use Raytracing or IBL etc..or some kind of global illumination, but it gives you an idea how innacurate the Firefly renderer is.
Now that said...I am not trying to bag Poser...I still use it a lot, and a lot of areas in it are very useful...But I have to say the renderer is not in the same league as the 3 delight Renderer which has been used in the Chronicles of narnia...Superman returns etc...

Cheers