Forum: Photography

Subject: November Forum Challenge "Night/Low Light"

bclaytonphoto opened this issue on Nov 01, 2009 · 68 posts

auntietk posted Sun, 01 November 2009 at 9:38 PM

Well, since we're here to learn, and I consistently have the same problem with night shots, let me post one I took this evening inside a restaurant!  This is why I don't take night shots.  They all turn out this orange-yellow color.  This is NOT on "auto," settings btw.  I had the camera set for low light at S1/4 and F3.2.  That's the same setting I've used before, and with staged setups (black background, specific lighting configurations, timer shots) I've had GREAT results.

It's not the blur I'm concerned about, btw.  I could fix that by getting out my little tripod and doing a timed shot.  It's that darned COLOR!  Oh ... the Mom is really a redhead, and the little girl is really a blonde.

As long as this is the forum, and not my gallery, I'm willing to bare my photographic soul, so to speak.  This is straight out of the camera -- all I did was resize it to fit the Forum posting parameters.

I know very little about my camera.  It's an older camera (DiMage Z3)  that doesn't have the range a lot of your cameras have.  For example, the F-settings only go to 4.0.

Given that limitation ... is there any hope for me and night photography??

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa