Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Antonia - Opinions?

odf opened this issue on Oct 27, 2008 · 13933 posts

bagginsbill posted Thu, 05 November 2009 at 10:29 AM

Hi.

So it turns out that my interpolation of vectors over an elliptic path for any transit other than 90 degrees was incorrect. I have fixed my code. My cornea and eyeball are now spherical.

I'm still getting somewhat distorted specular highlights, but then again, so does the old eye. See attached image - existing Antonia eye on the left, my experimental eye on the right. Both use the refractive shader for the cornea. You can see that the old eye highlight is a jellyfish in this particular orientation.

I haven't done enough studying of reference photos, but casually looking at a few tells me I need to figure out what is the exact shape of the transition between sclera and cornea. Should the two be joined by a cone, or should it curve smoothly between the two? I have it curving smoothly, but some images lead me to believe it is curved too much. Images of dissected eyes are suspect, as I think they are distorted by the preservation process. Many of them are not even close to spherical.

This is the first direct comparison I've made at scale. I see now that my iris is smaller than the original. But this can be compensated for by making the eye larger and moving the center of rotation back a bit. That's what I did in earlier comparisons that I showed in Antonia's head.

Does anybody have a definitive answer as to what the angle subtended by the iris typically is?

Also, I made some very subtle changes to the iris shape that improved the response to lighting at shallow angles of incidence.

At the moment the poly count is 480 for the eye and 395 for the cover, total = 875.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)