Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Antonia - Opinions?

odf opened this issue on Oct 27, 2008 · 13933 posts

odf posted Thu, 12 November 2009 at 3:24 AM

Quote - And while these eyes may be rather high tech and innovative for the Poser world, it's nothing that experienced people can't easily reproduce with mental ray, for example.

I think experience is the key. My assumption is that most high-end renderers have shader languages that are at least as powerful as Poser's, and thus it would be almost trivial - if tedious - to take bagginsbill's materials setting and translate them into whatever renderer one likes. You don't need an experienced person for that, just someone who can hack the shader.

I have a colleague who wrote a plugin for realistic simulation of ocean waves in Houdini. He didn't invent the method, but he was the first who implemented it in an efficient way. It's open source, so he's not expecting any revenue, but he sees almost verbatim rip-offs of his code for practically every renderer you can think of, and in some cases he's not even mentioned in the comments. He's also been told about his plugin being used in major feature films and advertisments, again most of the time without him getting any credit at all.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.