Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Antonia - Opinions?

odf opened this issue on Oct 27, 2008 · 13933 posts

bagginsbill posted Thu, 12 November 2009 at 8:31 PM

Thanks, SF. Well, obviously what you described has been my concern. In an ideal world, I would only do CG for a living and it would be a lot of fun. But I am almost certain such a situation would be a financial setback for me, even though I would enjoy it more than what I do. Not that I fail to enjoy my existing work, but that I do not have as much enjoyment doing digital signage or distributed computing or business intelligence as I do making CG toys.

Perhaps I should seek a partner - someone for whom the daily aspect of the CG business would not be tedious and would be financially a step forward. Then I could just do the interesting parts (invent, design, prototype) and hand them off to be finished, packaged, marketed, and supported. I have thought of this several times.

For example, I could make, literally in a few hours, over 1000 perfectly realistic tileable cloth textures - so good that you would be fooled into thinking they are photographs. I have thought to sell such a set of 1000 cloth textures many times. I imagine this could generate revenue around $20,000. But, if I then spend 20 -30 days packaging that and supporting the customers, then I have lost money, compared to what I already do. But not if I handed that off to somebody else and we split the $20,000.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)