Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: African, Middle Eastern, or South American scenes?

momodot opened this issue on Nov 12, 2009 ยท 15 posts

momodot posted Fri, 13 November 2009 at 10:07 AM

It is funny. I used to work in the second (or third?) tier of the film industry and Toronto was a stand-in for Chicago and Old Montreal a stand-in for Moscow for these cheap American film productions. My wife and I can tell any movie or TV show set in the US but shot in Canada within seconds. I once saw the most ridiculous Italian film set for no apparent reason very unconvincingly in Manhattan. My wife and I watch the TV show "Doc" with Billy Ray Cirus which was shot in Canada for a Southern US Christian TV network simply because not a single scene, interior, costume, hair style or character is remotely plausible for its Manhattan setting. Funny since so many people in New York actually come from places like Toronto or Nashville or St. Louis. We ask ourselves why the costumers couldn't just go to the airport and watch people getting off a flight from New York if they can't afford to visit and take some pictures. My favorite movie location solution was a Rutger Hauer film by the direct Albert Pyun which was set in California but since it was shot in Serbia the first establishing shot shows a cheaply made English sign saying something like "Welcome to Ye Old European Village". I think those two film greats also did a rip off of a Japanese swordsman series where Florida was the location used to film scenes set in a traditional Laotian village. Albert Pyun rocks!