Forum: Vue

Subject: Mapping Problem?

redtrek opened this issue on Oct 01, 2009 · 49 posts

redtrek posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 2:10 AM

Shawn,

I am not certain what you meant by blending layers--in Vue. ( I can blend layers fine in PSP, but it doesn'[t apply to this)  I created a Simple Material, with Color, bump, and reflection MAPS (provided with the model), all mapped parametrically--which all work as they are suppose to
----I added a second material layer and spherically mapped the vary block noise in the highlight channel of the 2nd layer--this creates the weird band across the center of the saucer.  I have found no way to blend these two together, only the alpha boost applies--unless there is something to drive the alpha function itself--but, as you mentioned, the banding would still happen because of the two different material types (paramet object, and Spherical Object)
Using a noise function in the highlight channel of the material does not work properly when the material is parametrically mapped--which is needed for the other channels.

The registry numbers are not mapped, but are a separate object from the saucer itself.

I am still looking for an answer to my ORIGINAL post,, as to why this  UV mapped object will not properly use a map created for the object, in the highlight channel.  I do not know how I can be any more clear about this problem, and I hope I am not coming across as being rude--I am just very frustrated.

To add to the confusion, I am attaching an image from an original series version of the Enterprise.  On the left, with a plain blue color channel, I used the supplied map for specularity in the highlight channel.  In this instance, I had to  flip the image in PSP so the lettering appears properly.  On the right, the  color map is also used--not flipped ( though the lettering is backwards from the spec map), with the spec map loaded in for highlights, bump, and reflection.---and, except for having to flip vertically the gray scale image, everything works!--This problem only seems to apply to saucer shaped objects--other parts of the ship map correctly.

On the movie Enterprise, I have to wonder if there is something about the UV mapping that works for color, bump and reflection, but is wrong for highlights?--which doesn't make much sense to me.

It also does not make sense that I would have to use a flipped image on the other model (in the channels other than color).  Also, strangely enough, for the TV Enterprise, the preview image shows the lettering backwards, though it renders correctly!