Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Service Release 2

Little_Dragon opened this issue on Nov 16, 2009 · 191 posts

bagginsbill posted Thu, 19 November 2009 at 9:37 AM

First, I'll agree that it should be adjustable.

But when you guys talk about laptop versus large monitor, and how the laptop drove the decision, I don't understand that. My laptop is 1920x1200, just like a big monitor. The experience one has of positioning the mouse to within 6 pixels on a laptop is identical to the experience of being on a big screen at the same resolution, except that the scrollbar is physically smaller on a laptop. The manual dexterity required to move the mouse over the thumb is identical - 6 pixels out of 1920. From a control-of-mouse point of view, the experience is the same. It is really an issue of how wide it looks, but the argument being made is backward. It is more difficult to see the thin scrollbar on a laptop than it is on a big 26" monitor. So if that were the driving factor, the argument would be the other way around.

OK, now we don't actually need to zero in on why the designers made the decision, because who cares? The point is, you (and I) want it wider, and we don't need to justify this on the basis of screen size or resolution. I want it wider. End of discussion.

As I posted before, I can make it wider, but SM graphic/usability people need to accept that the slick-looking space-saving scrollbar is a loser. And this skinny scrollbar isn't just in the library - it is also in the parameter dials, and has the same issues. If I change it in the library, you still have a problem with parameter dial scrolling, or heirarchy tree scrolling, etc.

This is the heart of the issue - SM needs to change the scrollbar everywhere. I can change it in the library in two seconds, because it is in Flex. The rest of the GUI, however, I suspect is not so easy.

From a technical standpoint, there is no preference you can adjust. The size of the thumb image decides the matter, and until SM gives me a wider thumb image (or a set of various sized thumbs) and I build those into the Flex app, you cannot adjust it.

By the way, I am now back on the Poser project, working with SM on the next iteration of the library GUI, both for Poser Pro 2010 and for SR3 of Poser 8. For the last three months, that was not the case.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)