Forum: Vue

Subject: Vue 8 and depth of field

Miska7 opened this issue on Nov 24, 2009 · 22 posts

Arraxxon posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 7:28 AM

I don't get those artifacts around the edges of a Poser figure - maybe it's depending on the figures, too, just checked one, doesn't matter, if i set the Poser path in Vue to Poser 8 or Poser 7 and render with hybrid 2.5D (the more passes, the stronger the blur effect),  still something isn't working right in Vue 7.5 or Vue 8 anymore, if i try to set up a depth of field area. Comparing it with Vue 6 for instance, where it was working perfect ...

Here a Vue 6 screenshot:
picasaweb.google.de/lh/photo/0D_l2b9tBkdUCgGlba9EMQ

Now a Vue 8 screenshot:
picasaweb.google.de/lh/photo/u_nlOlgrxqifpHxI3pV9aQ

Normally if i start using DOF, i can adjust the blur percentage, focus and focal length, to influence the position and area size of the DOF effect.

Now in Vue 6, as seen in the above screenshot, this area can be adjusted perfectly to include/exclude the objects in the scene to have the blur effect rendered. I've encircled this area in the screenshot.
And it doesn't matter, if i zoom in or out the scene in the side, top and front view windows, this area stays always fixed and you can always tell, where the blur effect will take place and where not.

This seems to be not working anymore in Vue 7.5 and Vue 8 - those the ones i've checked besides Vue 6 ...
If you look at the above Vue 8 screenshot, i've encircled the 'suppose to be' DOF area with yellow and the spot, where the figure is standing and the DOF area gets calculated with a white circle !?
So - while zooming in and out in the side, front and top view windows, this area keeps moving along with the zoom constantly !!  So if you try to setup a DOF area like in Vue 6, it won't work anymore. You have to set the focus-blur-focal values by trial and error, to find the area, where the DOF effect will take place !!
That's not the way, it was made for. Sure, i don't barely use the DOF calculation inside Vue - too timeconsuming - mostly, if needed, i use the z-depth info, too, with a little rework in a paintprogram ...

Even if it doesn't get used many times, it still should work, like it was working with past Vue versions - no reason, why this shouldn't be possible ...