Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Hello bagginsbill... help re. glass?

momodot opened this issue on Dec 03, 2009 · 19 posts

RobynsVeil posted Fri, 04 December 2009 at 3:26 PM

Quote - This weekend I'll try to post a glass tutorial. But it's a big subject, and also is complicated by which rendering color space management technique you want to deal with.

Poser 7 or less has no gamma correction or tone mapping, so I use GC shaders for that.

Poser Pro has built-in gamma correction, so I don't need GC shaders and things are a lot simpler.

Poser 8 has tone mapping, which isn't exactly as good as GC so we can use GC shaders as with Poser 7. Or we can try to deal with tone mapping and adjust some things in the shaders to get us close to a GC effect. But, if you're going to use IDL, then GC shaders are a bit of a problem, and we'd hack in a different way. And if you're going to use IDL and tone mapping, we hack still another way.

I don't want to write about all that at the moment. So pick one.

Also, thin glass versus thick glass are different and require different techniques.

Also, if the glass is not its own prop where you can turn off "cast shadows" we have to deal with it casting a shadow. Or maybe not - depends on the situation. Pick that too.

May I pick? Please? How about: thin glass (like a window pane) with GC (or tone mapping - I'd be keen to see the difference!) in Poser 7. Oh, and a discussion on IOR for glass (or a nod, whichever) would be nice. Still trying to pound that into this thick skull...

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks