Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Importing .obj files, loss of center

Harrgunn opened this issue on Jan 04, 2010 · 16 posts

pjz99 posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 6:19 PM

chriscox 

Quote - I'm not sure OBJ files store center point information.  It's quite likely that information is not being saved at export.   I looked at the OBJ specification and didn't see anything (of course it was a quick look and I could have missed it).

Yeah I think you are correct, I don't see any information about "axis" or "origin" either.

RobynsVeil  > Quote - When I import and obj into Poser, I untick all the boxes (particularly when importing something I'm going to conform to V4) and it pretty much lands where I exported it in Blender.

The location of each vertex is recorded in the OBJ relative to an arbitrary zero/zero/zero location, but the object's overall center point (origin) can be tracked separately - and in Poser, it is.  Basically this determines how the object will behave when you enter rotation values for x/y/z.  If the object's origin is the center of all points that make up the object, and you rotate it, then it will seem to spin in place without moving around the scene.  If the origin is, say, 1000 feet / 1000 feet / 1000 feet, and you rotate it even a little bit, it will move a long distance.

My Freebies