Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Finally!

Diogenes opened this issue on Jan 06, 2010 · 722 posts

Diogenes posted Tue, 12 January 2010 at 6:24 AM

High poly-low poly....................advantages and disadvantages for both.  People want gads of dialable morphs and versatility. (one of the biggest complaints about non daz figures remember?) And they want low resource intensive figures (this usually equates to low poly in peoples minds)

Well folks, you cant have both. If you want gads of morphs, you need the poly's to do it.  And displacement maps are not a replacement for morphs by the way, and take at least as much if not more in resources as a decent morph or two. And they are not pick and choose dialable, sorry.

If you want a small resource imprint, fast figure that you can get many of them in a scene, if thats most important, then low poly's for you. There will be limited things you can do with it, but many you cannot do with high poly.

And so the advent of seperate versions of the same figure. One high poly, one low poly, trying to sastisfy everyone. An impossibility in my veiw. The low poly people will want all the bells and whistles of the high poly figure, and the high poly people will want all the advantages of a low resource figure. They'll tear you to shreds and eat you alive no matter which way you go. (metaphorically I hope :) 

I will explain why I am putting out a high poly figure first. Number one, he has nothing to start out with but what ever I can make. Well, I do know of one area of 3D where all he needs is to look good  naked, have plenty of morphs, and some good textures. :)

Two, he is a male figure with limited appeal to niche groups even in the afor mentioned area of 3D. So I dont ever expect many to  support him. I am gratefull for what I can get. Low poly or high poly, few people want or will support a male figure. And dont point to Apollo, people supported Anton, not Apollo, and I am no Anton, no charisma you see.

So anyone who cant live with  a 60-70K figure is going to be dissapointed, but there it is. As I have said though I will develop a much lower versionof the same mesh, maybe backwards but the same result.

cheers,
Mike.

A HOMELAND FOR POSER FINALLY