Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Tutorial Scene - Poser 8 Soft Studio Lights with IDL

bagginsbill opened this issue on Jan 15, 2010 · 271 posts

RobynsVeil posted Sun, 24 January 2010 at 7:14 PM

Quote - A lot of hair models have specific min shading rate set to zero - you may want to check each part of the hair (if it's a conforming figure, or just the prop part if it's not rigged) and force min shading rate to be 0.5 or even 1.0.  Personally I don't worry that much about making hair visible in raytracing any more except for very specific, simple hair models (Kozaburo's tend to render fast) - it just takes too damn long.  You may get a little more speed by turning off texture filtering for all the maps used for the hair also.

Thanks for that, pjz99... another thing to check and tweak! It's those kinds of things that make the difference in the whole experience. After I wrote the above post, I double-checked my hair settings and discovered that I had actually turned Visible in Raytracing off - did that in P7 - but then I had a look at the shading rate for the parts of the hair: they are all set to .2!!!
Sheesh.
And I was kicking myself for not checking the Visible in Raytracing tickbox, but come to find out Poser 8 happily imports all your P7 pz3 settings.

I'll do another render of the same scene tonight with all hair bits shading rate set at 1 and my render settings min shading rate also at 1 and see how the renders compare. And how the render time compares.

Thanks again for that! Words to the wise... geez, I love this forum!

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks