Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser Pro 2010 release on the horizon...

Magic_Man opened this issue on Mar 01, 2010 · 358 posts

aeilkema posted Tue, 09 March 2010 at 6:10 PM

Here's are my initial impressions..... before starting, I'm running it on my laptop, Core2Duo P8600, 4GbRam (3.5 available), ATI HD 4330, Windows XP Home (32bit). For 64bit I need to be at work.

Install went smooth, no problems at all, it also installs Adobe AIR and you've got no option to refuse it.

First impression.... who in the world makes these intro screens? The P8 one wasn't that good, but this one, eek, awful, imo. Starts up pretty quick, slightly faster then P8 does.

After start up everything looks very familiar, exactly like P8. First problem arises, I hear lot's of clicking, the library appears for a moment and then is gone, blank 404 internet error page. So much for the library. Shut down poser. I'm not going to hassle with that. Installed Dimension XL, uninstalled Adobe AIR, since it wasn't on my system before and deleted all the library stuff from the hard drive. KIDS DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, unless you know how to add and remove libraries by editing the corresponding xml file.

Restarted Poser Pro 2010, yes it runs fine without the original library. Opened a scene from P8, no problem. Edited my preferences so they're the same as P8 and rendered the scene., no IDL Ouch..... PP2010 is a bit slower then P8. PP2010 takes 6'30 and P8 takes 5'50.

Now I'm wondering what is different? There's an option called multi-threaded bending, goto read up on that one. You can show thumbnails of your recent renders in the workspace, cool, but it takes away from the workspace. The features like render in queue and render in background are there, as well as gamma control, but those aren't new.  The openGL accumulation buffer settings are gone, there's now something called offscreen handling.

In the render features there's an option auxilary render data with settings for the output of indivual psd layers.

That's it so far, I don't see anything else that differs. I know the library has a lot of changes, but I can't comment on that. 

Got to see about IDL to see what's improved on that.

Impression so far..... it's P8 with Poser Pro features added and a few new gimmicks. Nothing earth shattering until now. I really expected something like the hierarchy editor to be modernized.

The background color bug is still there.... select a color and you get black. That one is still in P8 and now also in Poser Pro 2010.

That's it for now, I'm going to bed. I'll play with it tomorrow again, but there seems to be little to play with.

One thing must be said though..... it seems stable, except for the library not showing up at all issue, but I can't be bothered with that really.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk