Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser Pro 2010 release on the horizon...

Magic_Man opened this issue on Mar 01, 2010 · 358 posts

myrmadon posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 9:10 AM

Sorry to bug you.  You are quite correct Poser Pro 2010 works quite well for most people.  Sometime different computers and different programs have problems.  In my case q manager failed completely and support hasn't helped much.  After many days of attempts to fix the problem,  I' was very frustrated and my post was more of a plea for help.

I think the problem resides with Poser and my anti-virus.  Sometimes anti-virus detects valid code that has a virus signature and it deletes that code.  I uninstalled Poser Pro 2010 and re- installed it.  I also disabled the virus protection program.  Since I disabled the firewalls, antivirus, killed the service and start up in msconfig, uninstalled and reinstalled Poser Pro 2010  the assumption is that the problem resided in Poser, and you have to admit early versions of Poser were kind of wonky.   As an example, Poser Pro required a collectseneinventory python script for q manager to work properly.  I went round and round with support until they came up with that work around.

Last night, I went to a backup that did not have Poser on it or the same virus protection program.  This was very time consuming.  I reinstalled Poser Pro 2010 (a different anti virus program) and Poser appears to function.   I believe the problem resides in the fact that the Poser Pro uninstall does not remove all the registry keys.....Dumb me.  If I had manually removed all registry items the reinstall and removed of the offending virus program that should have corrected the problem.  (I did manually remove the Poser folder) 

The virus program I was using is a popular program and I expect that some other people will be having similar problems.  Most people do not feel comfortable tinkering around with the registry.  As soon as I sure that this is the problem I will post the conflict.  Just be sure that you don't click the "fix" button on any anti-virus program without checking what is going to be "fixed"  Also if the q manager fails, know that: 1. This could be caused by a conflict between your anti-virus program and 2. A complete uninstall including registry keys is probably required.
I'm still not completely sure of what's going on and the time it takes to track down a problem is enormous.  It may have been just a glitch in the original loading process.

Yes, I would buy Poser 2101, however not at the full $499 price.  I think you can get a better deal working the upgrades.