Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Dynamic clohes running thread...

LaurieA opened this issue on May 02, 2010 · 181 posts

LaurieA posted Sun, 02 May 2010 at 9:50 PM

Something else that may be interesting (or not...lol)...

When I model a piece of clothing, I start with a cube or a cylinder. From there, I tend to push vertices around at first and when I have them in a basic setup, I start to add rows of edges, slide them to where I want them and then move those verts around, etc. Because I'm an old graphic artist (literally) I understand splines and nurbs more than pushing points in 3D space because of years and years of using programs like Adobe Illustrator ;o). However, I've found that plain old box modeling is not only quicker, but easier in the end.

Because I use Wings, I've set up ready-to-use files with just a figure in them, ready to be modeled over ;o). Makes things quicker since I've already got a file ready to go all nice and merged into one solid group with all the material zones I don't need to worry about deleted. I just do a Save As when I start a new piece of clothing with one of these files. I keep the figure locked so I don't erroneously select any vertices on it while I'm working on the clothing. I also save incrementally cause, well, I just never know when I'm going to do something seriously stupid and have to go back to an earlier iteration ;o). Happens often enough that I learned to do this pretty quick...lol. Programming from being a graphic artist maybe, but a good practice nonetheless...hehe.

I also tend to run lots of what I call "experiments" in Poser. If there's something that I want to try and not sure how it will work, I'll export it out and run a few sims. It helps me get a feeling of what I need to change, what works and what doesn't or if I need to fix/change a material zone for use as a dynamic group. Sometimes I don't know if something will work at all, so I test it just to see if it does. It's why I model hems into all my clothes now...they work and it makes the clothing look more realistic and I'm all for that ;o).

I hope this helps someone. Yeah, they are only ramblings, but it might give someone some ideas that they maybe didn't have before. I think dynamic clothes are great and there should be more of them. I figure, if people have someplace to go to get the info they need, they'll be more willing to try the cloth room. And maybe some modelers will be more willing to make dynamic clothes. So, I have ulterior motives...lolol.

Laurie