Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Finally!

Diogenes opened this issue on Jan 06, 2010 · 722 posts

bagginsbill posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 12:44 PM

Quote - While we do have some stretching, we dont have distortion.

For the high res version I can simply break this UV up into 4 UV sets and scale them up. So if you were to make a high res texture, it would be a simple matter to convert that to the low res map, by simply scaling down and fitting it on the low res map.

This is an interesting issue - UV density.

One of the thoughts I've had for a long time is that Poser makes it really easy to scale a texture map file, mapping it onto any subset of the UV space (.25 to .35 instead of 0 to 1). Much of the reason that head maps are often separate files is simply to devote a lot more pixels to the head map. But since many apps do not support easy scaling of the UV space onto a map file, for most uses this translates into the head map being a different density in UV space, and that body has it's own 0 to 1 versus the head/face 0 to 1.

But I did experiments in the past that take advantage of UV scaling in Poser in interesting ways. For example, I once constructed a mapping for P6 Jessi  lips. Instead of using a 4K by 4K image for the entire head/face, I simply made a 1K by 1K image of just the lips, and a mask to go with it. Then I mapped that lip file into the UV space of the face. The result was the ability to have very high resolution lip color and bump, without resorting to that same resolution for the entire face. Instead of a 16 megapixel image, there are two 1 megapixel images. That's an 8-fold reduction in texture memory.

So what's the point for Brad?

Well - here's my suggestion. Place the parts into one UV space, as you've done. But be very precise about the boundaries of each subset. If you can publish the exact UV space bounding boxes for each piece, then it is easy enough for somebody to make a texture that is filled with nothing but face/head, and map it into the specified UV space boundary. For low-res work, everybody could just use single-image textures. For high-res work, knowing the precise boundaries, it will be easy to load a head-only map into that UV space.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)