Forum: Carrara

Subject: Making money off 3D design work...

ominousplay opened this issue on Apr 18, 2010 · 14 posts

FALCON2 posted Wed, 12 May 2010 at 12:11 PM

In my small studio, up until now I've created the majority of my content and done the 3D work in Lightwave.  I added Carrara into my arsenal late last year and its flexibility and speed esp. with premade content mean that it is here to stay in my studio. Indeed, for the mainstay on my illustration work, Carrara has become my goto tool for 3D. 

I still do all my modeling and high end special FX in Lightwave(though w/bullet & the expansions for C8 who klnows what the future will bring).  I also use Vue 8 complete as my main natural environment package and Particle Illusion for some 'midrange; fx tweaks and touches. I edit in DFX+, After Effects and Adobe Premiere, sound in Cubase VST, Acid, and FruityLoops.

All that being said - in direct answer to your question. I have done a ton of illustration work (trade mags mostly), a few TV commercials (toys) - and all of them used my modeled 3d assets and/or my photography.  My main income has been from web design and corporate flash animation. Its been a roller-coaster as far as money, but highly rewarding in a personal sense.

Whatever you decide, good luck out here!