Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Joining cubes and spheres/cylinders - have I done this sensibly?

3dcheapskate opened this issue on May 13, 2010 ยท 44 posts

3dcheapskate posted Fri, 14 May 2010 at 12:11 AM

Back to those "neater ways". I think that I understand the basic principles of edge loops, etc, but applying them in a practical situation is another matter!

EnglishBob: that link's great (you won't remember, but you sent me there in November last year from the "WIP-Modeling a Bellydance Costume Grp. Project" thread over on the DAZ forums).

Following on from that I've looked at lots of stuff about poles, edge loops, quads and triangles. I think I understand the basic principles. One of the simplest, most enlightening things I read was this one, Keep it simple. Four verts good, three verts bad...usually, and it's the advice I try to follow.

However, I spent a long time trying to use quads to join the square parts of this model to the rounded parts. But every approach I tried seemed to add unnecessary complexity to the model. That's why I went with the triangles.

But I'm intrigued - it must be possible to do with quads?

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).