Forum: Community Center

Subject: Modelsers sessions forum

TRAVISB opened this issue on Jul 31, 2001 ยท 46 posts

litst posted Wed, 01 August 2001 at 5:17 PM

That's a excellent idea, Travis ! I do think that it's possible to have software-independant discussions . I'm using Carrara and i've learned a lot from tutorials for Lightwave or others . And like you pointed out, the techniques are basically the same even if softwares handle things differently . An extrusion is an extrusion, a subdivision is a subdivision and a poly count is always too high ! ;) Some where saying that we could use the Characters Creators forum . Well, modelling isn't always about characters ! There are lots of things to model in life : bolts, nuts and other things like screws and screwdrivers . I can't think of anything else right now but there must be a lot of things around that are just waiting to be modelled ;) ! In the various forums around, people don't always post wireframes or unsubdivided versions of their model ... even though looking at the finished model won't help you a lot to understand how it was made ! That could be a good place to post modelling tutorials too, or links to existing tuts on the net . About the challenges : on the Carrara/RDS forum, we sometimes do some 15 minutes challenges . Azchip started this a long long time ago . The goal is to learn something while following a simple lesson ( model something on your desktop, for example ) . Often, we see short tutorials explaining how people have made their image . Really this is a great way to learn from each other ! And that's fun too coz we have to hurry to finish our image in the 15 minutes allowed ;) One last thing : if you do this, i'd suggest not to go with a very precise idea . Just do a forum about modelling . It will evolve as people do things and find its own personnality, just like the Characters Creators forum (or others) did :) litst