Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT - Do you remember life before Poser?......

Fugazi1968 opened this issue on May 27, 2010 · 67 posts

lmckenzie posted Fri, 28 May 2010 at 6:23 AM

*"remember degas elite?"* 

Absolutely, as a matter of fact just loaded it up for my ST emulator (Steem). I have no idea how to get the drawing surface to show. That's a great image - light years ahead of what I could do then or now. You probably remember the Neochrome animated waterfall and maybe the ST version of the Amiga bouncing ball demo. I always wanted to get whatever program it was that let you use all 512 colors at once - Spectrum 512 I think.   I may have some images on diskette in the back of a closet. I may see if they're still readable some day. The image viewer I use, XnView will display  both Degas and Neochrome images.

I do recall the printhead scanner. I just tossed my ST recently. It was one of the lemons that always had bombing problems but I spent countless hours with Neochrome, programming and playing Sundog and Mudpies. I even ran dBase III+ using a PC emulator. 

It was a great machine but Atari never marketed it enough - at least in the US. I believe that a few  musicians are still using them because the MIDI software was so good.

"I was in the Amiga Camp myself"

Home of the original Video Toaster editing app. I just Googled that and found out something I didn't know:

"One feature of the Video Toaster was the inclusion of LightWave 3D, a 3D modeling, rendering, and animation program. This program became so popular and useful in its own right that in 1994 it was made available as standalone product separate from the Toaster systems."

Also one of the original designers was comedian Dana Carvey's brother !

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken