Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser stuff! the making of....

stimuli opened this issue on Jun 22, 2010 · 30 posts

pjz99 posted Tue, 22 June 2010 at 11:37 PM

Quote - like what me?

Details...working with seam-lines, how to model while thinking in advance of how in the holy hell you're going to uvmap this extruded, convoluted polygonal nightmare, buttons, folded down collars, pockets, zippers for crying out loud...laces, strings, natural folds and drapes, pleats, Hair,

You want more?

Everybody's tutorial seems to stop at what is essentailly a t-shirt.  Just enough to get you running but nothing to win the race.

Things like "how do I UVmap a complex model" are pretty organic and can't easily be boiled down into a tutorial, I understand what you're saying but there simply isn't a way to make that skill set into something generic.  A good general rule of thumb when modeling something like clothing is to delete any extra geometry - any interior polygons will never be seen, will make the model harder to UVmap and will just be wasted overhead.  Picking up and learning a UVmapping tool that does LSCM or ABF unwrapping (both, preferably) will save you huge amounts of work.

A whole lot of your detail items are things that imo should be part of the bump map, or maybe displacement map if you're really super-concerned about how something looks in profile.  Modeling folds into static (non-dynamic) clothing is rarely something I really want as a user, because the folds and wrinkles will never make sense for loose-fitting clothing (big folds), and for tight-fitting clothing (small wrinkes) there just isn't any benefit in making these part of the basic mesh.  Seams and zipper-lines fall into this category as well.  They are a lot of work to model with pure geometry, don't look any better than a bump map from practically any distance or angle, and greatly increase poly count and overhead. 

Buttons are easy, they're just flattened cylinders.  Tiny details like the little holes in the center and the threads that hold the button in place should be part of the texture/bump map, you're not looking at the damn things with a microscope.  They will be a few pixels across in practically any render.

Pleats are easy again, if they are large enough to show in profile then it's just a matter of using the Extrude tool of your modeler.  Strings and other tube-type structures are typically done with Sweep (the name varies depending on what modeler you're using but the principles are the same).

Pockets are typically going to be an application of extrude again, along the lines of modeling a trim or hem but doing it around a hole.  Modeling a detailed inside of a pocket would be a waste of your time, like any form of interior geometry that will never be rendered.  Just the opening of the pocket is all that's needed.

The bigger body of knowledge that you probably want to look into is topology - and there is no simple way to pick this knowledge up and apply it to a variety of projects, unfortunately.  This thread on subdivisionmodeling.com discusses a lot of aspects of topology in generic terms, and is very informative, but you have to spend a lot of time thinking about the information given and how you can apply it before you can really do anything with it.  When you do start getting a grip on it though, many things will become easier and your models will probably start looking a lot more like you want them to, and will typically be easier to UVmap to boot:
http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907

My Freebies