Forum: Blender

Subject: Yaay - My first Blender creation

MidnightCarnival opened this issue on Jun 26, 2010 · 15 posts

Warlock279 posted Mon, 28 June 2010 at 6:19 PM

I have to disagree with you on that., I think Blenders sculpting tools are up to date, and I don't see adaptive sculpting as the "up to date" or "the way forward" or a "replacement" at all.

SculpTris, you pretty much move forward, its very linear, you start with your base mesh, you shape it, you add details, you're done. Taking out details, or making major base level changes at later stages of the sculpt can be tricky.

With a more traditional multi res approach to sculpting, you can always step back down one, two, three, however many levels you have, make radical changes, all while keeping the details of your highest resolution, mostly, if not completely, intact. You also have the freedom to step down from the highest detail level, delete the higher level and then have another go at it you're not liking where its headed.

While I quite like SculpTris approach, its very intuitive and can be a very handle tool, I don't think I'd ever want to see that approach as the mainstream, as I think multi res is far more flexible. Like I said in my other post, I see adaptive subdivison sculpting's greatest value at the back end as a final detail pass, where you don't need to increase detail across the whole mesh, but you need to work some wrinkles into the face, some stitches into the clothing, etc. Adaptive sculpting would be great, after you've used a polygon reduction tool to knock some of the excess polys out of your sculpt but still want to work in some more detail.

That's my two cents on the state of sculpting.

Core i7 950@3.02GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator Ram@1600mHz | 2GB Geforce GTX 660

Lightwave | Blender | Marmoset | GIMP | Krita