Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Stylized Truly ORIGINAL poser figures???

wolf359 opened this issue on Jul 04, 2010 ยท 42 posts

parkdalegardener posted Mon, 05 July 2010 at 10:04 AM

Quote - The main problem with the existing toon figures for Poser/DAZ Studio is that they tend to be either one-offs or only a couple of figures at most in the same style; they usually come with decent morphs, but nothing that can be used to add enough variety to become dozens of different characters.

Scenes using multiple styles of toon figures look like crap, btw.

There are a few that can go together if one takes the time to tweak their morphs and possibly add a few magnets to bring their styles together (as well as adjusting material settings), but most people don't seem to want to spend the time to do this.

3DUniverse somewhat addresses this with their toon figures, as they add new characters to their roster that all retain the same underlying style, but that's about it as far as I know (aside from the Poser Pro Pack toon figures - hey, how long has it been since you've seen/used them in a render?).

Again; something that learning to make your own low poly figures will cure. You would then be able to make as many unique figures as you wish. All would have the same style as they would all be made by you and not a random bunch of figure artists. Once you get the hang of it then higher rez figures would be your next step.

The way I see it many Poser users just want to work with existing models. There are a heck of a lot of good modelers and riggers out there supplying great Poser content but as you say; they are all working in their own style and that may not always suit your purposes. Runtimes are filled with content that you may only use once or twice. A lot is free and a lot is pay. From the requests I see in the forums most folks want free. Making your own content is free except for your time. When render times run into hours to produce a scene then spending some time to work on your own stuff doesn't seem so bad.

One reason I feel that a lot of Poser renders seem to have that familiar look is that folks are unable to create content in their own style. Give 10 2D artists a request to paint/draw a NVIATWAS and you will come up with 10 unique results. Ask 10 Poser artists to do the same and the results are not quite so unique. The same could be said of sculpters and others who work in traditional media. Their own unique style will always shine through. 'Nuff said. I'll go back to reading the thread and stop preaching in it now.
pdg