Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is Poser's rendering speed limited by the software itself?

HotDog36 opened this issue on Jul 20, 2010 · 39 posts

bluecity posted Thu, 22 July 2010 at 8:51 AM

Quote - > Quote - What spec system do you have now, and what are you thinking of , also what version of poser ? 

I am using Poser 6 with almost exclusively the Poser 4 rendering. I am going from about a dual core 2.3 Ghz prosessor with 4GB ram and a crappy video card (I can only approximate because it died three weeks ago) to a 3.2 Ghz Intel core i5 650 with 8GB ram and for a graphics card a NVIDIA GeForce GT320 with 1GB of dedicated video memory. In order for this to be worth it to me it will have to be a very signficant speed increase, close to triple. Could I reasonably expect those results? From what I read in this thread it doesn't seem like the graphics card will make much of a difference.

That Octane program looks awesome! It is just too bad it doesn't seem compatible with Poser. Otherwise I would buy that thing in a second. That is the kind of results I would love.

Unless you are planning on upgrading Poser going to a new PC wouldn't benefit you that much performance wise as your biggest bottleneck is going to be Poser 6 itself. P6 can't use multiple threads for rendering and is limited to 2GB a thread (32-bit app).  In order to take advantage of the newer hardware, you really need to be working in Poser Pro and above with the Firefly render engine on a 64-bit operating system.